Thursday, October 20, 2016

Egg Burritos

Video Tutorial:

You might know them as breakfast burritos, but at our house where we eat them morning, noon, and night, (just not all in the same day) they are called egg or sometimes ""eggie" burritos. They are my go to, the meal I can count on for a last minute dinner, an easy breakfast, or a quick lunch.

In case you missed it, you can read last weeks post on how these became a staple in our home and watch a video tutorial on  teaching your child how to crack eggs.

Ok, back to those egg burritos. Here are a few thoughts from making this video. While in in the process of cutting up the bell pepper I opened the fridge to grab an onion and Olive saw an apple. She immediately wanted to eat it and when I tried to encourage her to finish her job before getting the apple she completely shut down (as in she collapsed on the floor and had a meltdown). Out of respect for her I cut this part from the video, but feel it is important to share because shockingly things do not always run smoothly at our house while cooking together! We hit bumps in the road all of the time when somebody does not like their job, when somebody wants to go play, when somebody gets hungry, or when somebody is simply having a cranky day. It happens. And I feel that there are always a million and one reasons, distractions, excuses, you name it that keep us from feeling like we have the time or the ability to cook and to cook with our kids.

So here is what I did. I did not force her to continue cutting the pepper. Instead I cut her those apple slices she wanted, placed them on her cutting board, and let her eat them. The trick is that I placed them on her cutting board so that she remained in the kitchen, right next to me, with everything there, ready for her to continue when she had finished eating or felt ready to help again. I will talk about this concept more in an upcoming post and video, but for today I want to stress the importance of keeping them in the kitchen with you while you are cooking. It is the only way it becomes a routine for both you and for them. Even when my children were babies and it was mealtime prep I had them in the kitchen with me. Sometimes they were in swing, a bouncer, a bumbo, or a carrier on my back or chest. Like any other routine you establish with a child repeated exposure is the key.

Now, for the recipe.

1 tsp butter
2 Tbsp finely diced onion
1/2 medium bell pepper, cut into thin slices and then diced
5 eggs (our chickens just started laying eggs so their eggs are small to medium size)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet melt the butter and saute the onions for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Add the peppers and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl and add them to the pan. Cook until desired firmness.

My kids love their eggs rolled up in a warm tortilla with their favorite salsa and a little bit of sour cream (current favorite salsas are mango salsa and Trader Joe's Salsa Authentica). My favorite way to eat it is on a corn tortilla with Trader Joe's Hatch Valley Green Salsa, avocado slices, and arugula (I'm obsessed with arugula).

What I love about making this dish is that everyone can make it the way they like. I hear a lot from other moms that they end up eating a lot of kid food during the day because they make something for their kids and then do not feel like cooking for themselves. With egg burritos, this problem is virtually solved.  So, give it a try with your kids and remember when things get a little crazy that just like anything else in life the more you practice the better you get!







No comments:

Post a Comment