Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Pink Play-Dough

YouTube Video Tutorial:


Play-dough. I've got a love-hate relationship with it and for that very reason I don't tend to keep it around very often. However, I have found that every once in a while it can be a great tool and a life saver. If you find that it doesn't capture your child's attention for a long period of time or that it makes too big of a mess try setting your child next to or across from you at the counter (sometimes I will also set it up at the kid's play table next to my desk). I find that when I give my kids play-dough and then leave the room (for more than a minute or two) they tend to loose interest more easily than when they are able to engage with me in a conversation and I can offer suggestions, ideas, and occasional help.  This also tends to keep the play-dough from running off and drying out and then showing up in the most unexpected and odd places imaginable (key word being "tends"-not always)! 

I also find with play-dough that keeping it simple really is best. One big color versus multiple little colors.  For little ones, a few cookie cutters, a knife and a rolling pin tends to work just as well, if not better, than all the fancy stuff you can find in the stores. Keeping it simple also means that it is more time efficient and less exhausting for me to quickly whip this out than to drag my kids to the store (especially in the middle of the Arizona summer). For me, shopping with young children is never a bonding, fulfilling experience. Enjoy time with your children while you make this and then feel guilt free getting some stuff done while they happily play. I hope you will give this a try and let me know how it goes. I bet your little ones are going to think it is so cool to make their very own play-dough!

You can find these adorable cookie cutters and so many more at Sur La Table. They seriously have the most amazing collection and they are very affordable. Olive and I stopped by their store one morning after visiting the splash pad and we were both blown away, especially when we found one in the shape of a dove.



Recipe:

3 C Flour
3 C Water
3/4 C Salt
6 Tsp Cream of Tartar
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Food Coloring

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook for about 7-10 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from burning. You will know the dough is done when it is dry and pulls away from the pan. Turn dough out onto a piece of wax paper. Cool and knead the dough. Store in an airtight container and enjoy!

Great Jobs For Children Include:

Measuring dry ingredients
Holding the measuring utensil while you pour the wet ingredients
Food coloring drops
Stirring the mixture before the dough becomes too stiff
Cutting a piece of wax paper
Finding a storage container


No comments:

Post a Comment