Monday, March 13, 2017

Sprinkle Song Brussels Sprouts


If you haven't already seen this video click here.

Many people call Olive my clone and if you have seen this video you will know that she definitely takes after me in two ways: she loves to sing and she loves Brussels Sprouts.

When I was a kid I can remember my mom cooking up a big pot of Brussels Sprouts from the local farmers market. She would serve them steamed with salt and red wine vinegar. Evidently I loved them so much we would fight over who got the last one. Although now days I prefer roasting to steaming and balsamic to red wine vinegar this food remains on the top of my favorite foods list. They make such an easy side dish and some nights when my husband is gone they take center stage with a fried egg. However you choose to serve them these little vegetables provide great sensory and fine motor skill development for your child and, who knows, they might even grow to like them along the way. It took some convincing on the part of my husband and older children, but I do believe I have won them over (after cooking them weekly for about six months). Simply cut them in half, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast them on a baking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees for a good 30-40 minutes. Immediately following their removal from the oven drizzle with balsamic vinegar and enjoy!

Ideas for kids:

Have them transfer cut Brussels Sprouts from the cutting board to a baking sheet. If you are right handed make sure they stand on your left and that you create a nice pile for them to grab from that is as far away from your knife as possible. If you are left handed make sure you place your child to your right.

Have them pull off bad leaves or just have them pull off the outer leaves to keep them busy (plus I love the single leaves that get a bit chard).

Have them place all of the Brussels Sprouts face down (just to give them something to do).

Have them compost or dispose of any bad spots or leaves.

Let them rub the Brussels Sprouts around with the oil. Olive loves this job!

Check back Wednesday for the other half of this meal: Butternut Squash Medley!

No comments:

Post a Comment