Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Blueberry Bran Muffins

I am not sure how long I have been eating these muffins, but I am still occasionally teased by my parents for refusing to eat one as a toddler because my grandmother put the butter and the peanut butter on the wrong side of the muffin. Make no mistake, these muffins are tasty no matter which way you butter them up, but if you ask me I still say butter belongs on the top half and peanut butter and honey belong on the bottom half.

Although I really try to avoid using the microwave, there are mornings that are super busy and require its aid. This recipe makes a solid three dozen standard size muffins plus one dozen "baby muffins" for your toddler or young child to be entranced by. If you do not have a mini muffin pan and your kids do not know the difference you can just make the three dozen muffins, but it is a rather fun way to keep them engaged in the kitchen. 

Once they are made I can usually fit between nine and twelve muffins in one gallon size Ziploc bag. I keep them in the freezer and we eat them one to two mornings a week for about a month or so. They require about a minute in the microwave and, as stated above, I love to add a little peanut butter (go with the natural peanut butter) or almond butter to half of my muffin for some added protein. Also, if you are wanting to save a little bit of money and be a bit more environmentally friendly, you can easily wash and reuse your gallon size bag for next time. 

Now on to a few notes about the actual recipe. If you are new to using whole wheat or if you have not been a fan of using whole wheat in the past I urge you to give either hard or soft white wheat a go rather than hard red wheat (white wheat is not to be confused with the regular old white flour at the store which I typically only use for special occasions). White wheat has a milder taste than red wheat and will make an easier transition for you and your kids from white flour to whole grains. 

Recipe:
2 C (not quick oats) 
2 C Water
4 C Wheat Bran
4 C Buttermilk
4 Eggs
1 C Oil (I use Olive Oil)
1 C Honey (I use Local Raw Honey) 
5 C Whole Wheat Flour
5 tsp Baking Soda
2-3 C Fresh or Frozen Blueberries 

Combine 2 cups oats and 2 cups water in a bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes. In a large mixing bowl combine bran, buttermilk, eggs, oil, honey and cooked oats. In a separate bowl combine flour and baking soda and add to the liquid batter. Once combined add blueberries. Use a large spoon to scoop batter into a greased muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.   

This batter probably took us less than 15 minutes to make together and then another 15-20 minutes for the kids to scoop the batter into the muffin tins. Once the first two tins are filled I will put them in the oven to bake while they finish up the rest. 

A few notes for cooking with kids: 
Measuring liquids can be a bit trick for younger kids as well as some older kids. If you child is not yet capable of measuring liquids you can measure them and then allow them to transfer from the measuring device to the mixing bowl. 

Also, if you are in a rush or are feeling a bit flustered trying to make these together for the first time place your child in front of the bowl, give them a wooden spoon, and simply ask them to stir everything you add. I don't know what it is, but kids love to stir and will stay occupied doing it for a long period of time, especially if you are constantly adding new ingredients in. 

Finally, whether using fresh or frozen blueberries, measure out a little extra to account for what they will eat.  I've always believed that in the kitchen is where kids learn to love fresh fruits and veggies rather than their plate. 

I know these muffins might be a bit of a transition for some families, but I promise, if I succeeded in eventually winning over my husband with these you can too. Check out the video if you haven't already seen it here on my YouTube Channel Your Kids Your Kitchen


































No comments:

Post a Comment