Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Lemon Yogurt

Citrus is in season and everywhere I look the trees in my neighborhood and around town are hanging with fruit. We have a white grapefruit tree and our neighbors, who can't have citrus, have several orange and one lemon tree. Thanks to them we now have a plentiful supply of fruit waiting to be juiced and I am trying to think of anything and everything I can do with it.

Thankfully, when I was shopping at Costco a few weeks ago I happened to sample some delicious lemon yogurt. It was to die for. Everyone one in our family loved it, but with the way my kids eat yogurt I found this to be a not so economical snack. So I tried making my own!

Costco sells a 48 ounce container of Plain Greek Yogurt that I really like to use. The consistency is thick enough to handle the lemon juice without getting too thin. For this video I used my own homemade yogurt (the starter was from the Costco Plain Greek Yogurt). It was a bit too thin in my opinion so next time I will either take the time to make Greek Yogurt or head to Costco to get some.

To make this yogurt you will need:

48-64 Ounces of Plain Greek Yogurt
1/3-1/2 Cup fresh lemon juice
1/4-1/3 Cup sweetener (I used local raw honey for this video and loved it. Olive prefers sugar.)
Optional: Lemon zest and/or lemon oil (You could also use lemon extract, just make sure it's pure extract and not imitation lemon.) Start with 3-4 drops and add more if needed.

Transfer your yogurt into a mixing bow. Add the lemon juice and stir until fully incorporated. If you are going to use honey make sure it is slightly warm. You will have a much easier time stirring it in if it is warm, which makes the consistency slightly thinner. Finally, if you would like a stronger lemon flavor add in either lemon zest, lemon oil or lemon extract. Once everything is combined and you are satisfied with the flavor transfer the yogurt back to the original container and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment